Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Why I Love Living in the City

This morning at about four-thirty I awoke to the tuning of a very loud radio outside my window. As my waking consciousness became clearer, I could perceive the switching of stations intermixed with screeching static, and the noise was getting louder as the radio, which I suspected emanated from a moving car, approached the apartment. Finally, the operator of the radio settled on a song, and though the volume waned slightly, it still played loud and true. I laughed in bed listening to the song for a moment, then I got up and peered out the window to see what the hell was going on.

It was a guy with an enormous boom box walking down the street, who apparently thought the end of our block was the spot he would settle. He just stood there, in the middle of the street, blasting Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam's 1987 hit Head to Toe. I probably hadn't thought about that song in at least fifteen years. I understand from the internets that the song hit number 1 on the Hot 100 21 years ago last month.

Sleep: I get that every night, more or less.
Lisa Lisa on a boom box outside my window: priceless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two things:

1. I was also awakened last night/early this morning around the same time, only mine was the clanging of a burglar alarm going off down the street.

2. I'm impressed you know who Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam are. Perhaps the last time you heard them all those years ago was in my car...?

Toad's Lair said...

Here today, gone tomorrow
It’s possible, but I doubt it
His kiss is credit in the bank of love
I never leave home without it

He’s different from any boy I know
Body supreme
Bedroom eyes, head back to the side
Please don’t be so mean

14 karat love, you are my jewel of the Nile
When we make love diamonds are forever
Top to bottom I love you, I will leave you never
I got to, got to, got to tell you, darlin’

Ooh, baby, I think I love you
From head to toe
Ooh, baby, I’ve got to kiss you
From head to toe


Poetry. Pure poetry.