Saturday, July 26, 2008

Overheard at the gym

Two thin women were talking at the gym about how they need to lose weight, and one of them was lamenting that she can't buy ice cream anymore, because she'll eat the whole carton if it's there. I was doing stretches nearby and trying to focus on my routine; I couldn't help but listen and muse about their conversation a bit.

It made me tap into the pain of being a fat woman at the gym, the incarnation of the "unsightly" fat body these women are avoiding like the Plague. And while I'm sure they're working out because they want to be "healthy," on another level, they're working out because they don't want to look like me. Hell, I'm working out 'cause I don't wanna look like me, if we're in the business of being honest here. My goal is not to be skinny - that's just not my body type. But I do want to lose some weight, and it's for health reasons, sure, and it's so I can continue to be more effective and physically active, yes, but it's also so that I can squeeze my tummy into cute shirts I wanna wear, so that it doesn't droop downward so very much, so that I may be able to possess one chin instead of the multitude I've lived with for years. I, too, am a product of a fatphobic culture. And even though I love my body at times, and have lovers who love my body, and wouldn't change who I am internally, I do want to weigh less.

It is so fucked up that almost every day, I hear people casually bemoaning their weight, making derisive comments about fat people, and equating fatness with poor health and ugliness. My asshole psychopharmacology professor once said in class that extra weight around the stomach was both unhealthy and "unattractive." The assumption that fat people aren't healthy, and aren't sexy, and conversely, that a thin person is naturally in better health and obviously better looking, is just plain unfounded and subjective. Thin people get heart disease and diabetes too. Thin people can be ugly motherfuckers. I've got normal blood pressure, I've never smoked cigarettes, and I exercise regularly. How many fucking thin people do you know who've got three strikes on those counts?

Fuck you and your fucking carton of ice cream. You don't know what it's like to have entire You Tube channels devoted to making fun of you for being fat.

1 comment:

Bree said...

AFG Comment Digest:

jacket said...

I so appreciate your ability to lay it all out there - to critique social values and also discuss the ways in which you feel influenced by the very norms you reject. Thank you for writing this blog.
July 29, 2008 9:20 PM

Bree said...

Thanks Jacket! Yep, we're all implicated in fatphobia, and literally shaped by it. Thanks for reading!
August 3, 2008 9:42 AM

erin ambrose said...

hi, i jumped over here from jackets blog.thanks so much for all your writing. and yeah.... I am living proof that skinny doesn't equate healthy...at all. my god i'm on ssi for a list of crap so long i don't even remember it all. my adrenals are so fucked, i waste. immune system...fucked. lots of brain damage, bad teeth, insomnia, chronic fatigue....you name it baby.
some of which is the direct result of years of bulemia and anorexia when i was a teenager.
-yeehaw. stupid fucking dominate culture.
anyway...keep on doin' what you do.

cheers
September 21, 2008 10:32 AM