Sunday, May 25, 2008

Stagnant

News flash: my bike broke. Yeah, kind of a bummer. I was in the habit of hiking my seat way up to compensate for a frame that didn't properly fit me, and I've managed to crack the seat tube, which in layman's terms means my frame is cracked and it's unsafe to ride. I'm feeling very resistant to spending money on a new bike, but I know I need to bite the bullet. I've been walking more, but I move my body much less without it. Not to mention I get a lot of my joy from my bike commute on a daily basis, so it's pretty essential that I get going on finding a new one. I bought my first cheap-ass used bike about five, five and a half years ago. It was promptly stolen. A few months later, some amazing friends of mine, who turned out to be the then-marital unit of Raquel and Chauncy, financed a new bike for me anonymously under the auspices of the philanthropic syndicate "The Hidden Hanukkah Helpers." Thus began my all too short relationship with my Raleigh C40. I've quite loved this bicycle, and it deserves a proper eulogy here. I rode that bike about 15 or 20 miles a week on commutes to work and school for about five years, took it on a trip through the Santa Inez wine country, learned these steep and trafficky San Francisco streets on its wheels. Sure, it was a little too heavy and hard to maneuver up and down the BART stairs, but it was mine, a simple machine to get me around and help me exercise whilst not polluting the environs. Good bye, bikey. You've been good to me.

1 comment:

Jack Slowriver said...

sorry about your bike. it really is a sad day when you realize you have to junk a trusty companion.