Friday, March 21, 2008

"I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in..."

I was at a taqueria in the Mission the other day, and as the lady behind the counter was making my burrito, the song "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight" was floating through the sound system. The mellowly upbeat tune by '70s pop duo England Dan and John Ford Coley, unlike the very mediocre carne asada, truly hit the spot for me. I whistled the tune to myself as I walked back down 16th Street, and made a mental note to look the song up online when I got a moment. As with most of my "mental notes" this one faded into the mélange of momentary stimulations, distractions, and preoccupations, and when I tried to recall the song later (hmm...it wasn't Jackson Browne...was it Seals and Crofts?...) it had completely vanished from consciousness.

Then, by some amazing stroke of luck or fate or perhaps just the consistent marketing trends on lite rock stations throughout the Bay Area, I just heard the song again in a cafe in Berkeley! Oh happy day! I present to you "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight" by England Dan and John Ford Coley, complete with a psychedelic butterfly-chick fade-in!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so funny because I was just listening to them today at work. I had downloaded "It's All Up to You," the theme song they wrote for the ultra-crappy '70s TV series "James at 15." (Season 2, "James at 16," had a different song.)

Funny, too, that you should mention Seals and Crofts. Jim Seals is England Dan's brother.

Bree said...

OK - you're creeping me out! Did you know that Dan and Jim Seals were related before you googled it?

Anonymous said...

I had discovered it recently when I was looking into who performed that song from "James at 15." When I saw that England Dan's last name was Seals, and then thought about how similar the bands are in that Mellow Gold kind of way, I did a quick search on allmusic.com and found that they actually come from an entire musical family. I also learned that Dan had a later career as a country singer.

Erica said...

I love that song too! I posted the lyrics on my 'online profile.' Thankx for the inspiration, Bree!!