Tuesday, September 30, 2008

You Will Submit to 80's Music

Working on a longer entry at the moment, but thought you might like a real-time update of the sometimes fantastic and sometimes awful 80's playlist at the café where I'm currently writing. Look for updates over the next hour or two!

So. Central Rain by R.E.M. (when this wonderful old R.E.M. song was playing in the café, I thought it a good sign. Little did I know I'd have to be assaulted by infuriatingly catchy Billy Joel and Hall and Oates tunes for the remainder of my stay.)
Jeopardy by Greg Kihn
It's a Mistake by Men At Work
Family Man by Hall and Oates
People Are People by Depeche Mode
some godawful George Thoroughgood song
Pulling Mussels (From the Shell) by Squeeze! (pretty obscure, right?)
Don't Be Cruel, as peformed by Cheap Trick
King of Pain by the Police
Our House by Madness
Tell Her About it by Billy Joel (ugh!)
Manic Monday by...um...the Bangles (did I get it right?)
A Million Miles Away by the Plimsouls (sounding very Replacementsy)
Come Dancing by the Kinks (was this released in the 80's? maybe...)
Saved By Zero by The Fixx
I Know Tonight by the Cars
Let's Go Crazy by Prince
Mayor of Simpleton by XTC (nice to hear this one! Been a long time.)
Show Me by the Pretenders (Yay!! I have to say, I think the Pretenders and Chrissie Hynde are really underrated by retro-appropriating hipsters everywhere. They quite rock, IMHO)
Express Yourself by Madonna
Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
Freedom by Wham! (not to be confused with "Freedom 90" by George Michael, solo, songs of the same title and quite different in theme. Very self-aware, George.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock-Kihn-Roll! "I lost on Jeopardy, baby!"

Bree said...

Totally! One of the best of Weird Al's send-ups ever.

Anonymous said...

You did get it right. I love that song. It was written by none other than Prince - originally for Vanity 6, until he started boinking Susanna Hoffs and gave it to her instead and a hit was born.