Friday, January 30, 2009

Biting The Hand, Part Two

Got to work this morning, settled in, checked my inbox, opened up Quickbooks, and then tried to log onto the bank account to see the balance. My password didn't work. "Hmm," I considered, "I wonder if Doug changed the password for some reason." The obvious reason didn't occur to me, even though a former co-worker, who I knew at another gig a couple years ago, had just sent word about her own lay-off which occurred in the exact same fashion. She'd logged onto her online access, and her password was denied. Then she sent an email to the boss and to a co-worker asking what was up, and the co-worker called her back with the news that they'd both been let go. No notice, no "Thanks for your years of service," no severance, just cut off.

I went onto other things, unawares, and then a co-worker of mine started telling me the news. He said that our boss laid off one of the tech support guys and that he was sorry to be the one to tell me, but that he was laying me off, too. Doug himself couldn't be bothered to break the news, 'cause he's at a golf tournament this weekend. Yes, times sure are tough, aren't they?

After I vented with my co-worker (a dear boy who I hope to see around some time) and wrapped up things at work, I strolled through the Mission wheeling my bike at my side. I called Astrid while strolling, and then zigged and zagged a few blocks over to see my old boss at the printing shop to inquire if he has any work for me (he doesn't, but it's always nice to see him). Then I rode home, made some lunch, and am, you know, feeling surreal. Astrid and I were just barely making it with my limited work schedule, and there's no money to spare once we pay rent in the next couple days. I'm gonna have to hustle my ass off to find something.

Anyone out there need a bookkeeper/office grunt?

3 comments:

Erica said...

CRAP! That sucks! Since I've been job hunting for half a year and continue to do so, I'll keep you in mind and pass along any leads I hear of. Hang in there, buddy.

Dani said...

*hug* i'm so sorry, love. can i take you out for lunchytime sometime soon?

Jack Slowriver said...

It sucks that the "management" jerks didn't have the courtesy to treat you like a human.