Thursday, June 12, 2008

Getting Strong Now

Alright, so after a bit of research and much inner-struggle, I decided on the mega-corporate gym down the street, 'cause it was the cheapest membership fee I found (after haggling), and it's the closest gym to my house, which ostensibly provides less of a barrier to my getting there. On taking the tour of the place, I saw a good mix of men and women, a few other fat people, and numerous people of various ages and body shapes that would not be commonly viewed as "gym-bunny"-types. So I felt as comfortable as I possibly could being in such an environment. I've gone twice this week so far, and have actually enjoyed it. And after exercising each day, my body has felt much more relaxed and serene than it usually does when I'm just sitting around.

So far, I really like the recumbent bike. It's a good way to get the heart rate up and work up a good sweat while staying pretty comfortable. No stress on the back, and very little stress on the knees. I also like clocking the miles that I'm biking. It's less intense and less calorie-burning than the elliptical, but I'm finding it's a good starter machine for me. I tried the elliptical for the first time today, and I'm a bit baffled by it right now. I know the swooping leg motions and corresponding arm swinging will make more sense after I get more familiar with it, but it was a bit overwhelming on first try. I also started feeling a great deal of stress in my left calf muscle after only about five minutes on it, so I quit at that point and went back to the recumbent. Then I did some crunches and a bit of weight lifting. I also made sure to do some stretching both before and after the exercise.

My lovely friend G. showed me around the gym today, and introduced me to various workout equipment. That was pretty cool of him to do. It is so intimidating being a fat girl at the gym, and then on top of that, not having any idea how all these machines work. So tip of the hat to G. - thank you for being so supportive!

Just by way of logging what I'm doing at the gym, right now, it's just about 20 minutes of cardio and then as many crunches as I can do (maybe 10) and then 10 reps of very light weight lifting to tone each different arm muscle group. I expect I'll increase all these numbers as I progress, but I'm starting off very easy.

So I'm no longer a gym virgin. Woo-ha!

1 comment:

Bree said...

AFG Comment Digest:

Cat said...

Congrats on losing the gym cherry ;) One word on the calf muscles, if they hurt terribly, try Gatorade or up your potassium in another way, (banana's etc.). I ran into real trouble and apparently, that's a warning sign that you're low.
Thank you for this blog, btw. I gained 40 lbs last year & am trying to work it off myself. There's little else to read that acknowledges the emotional issues PLUS the addition of exercise & diet. I think I win at longest comment ever :)
June 12, 2008 4:55 PM

Bree said...

Hey Cat - thanks for the potassium tip, and for sticking with my adventures in healthier living. Yeah, it's pretty rare to find information online that's not only fat/body positive and honest about health, but also honest about the confusing emotional struggle of balancing body-identity with wanting to make some positive change.

Leave long comments anytime, darlin.
June 13, 2008 1:55 PM

Toad's Lair said...

I remember the first time I used the elliptical I felt like an elephant scratching it's ass in a tree. Plus, after 10 minutes I could barely stand up. But as I continued to work on it I eventually got waaayy better. And with my iPod stocked with some music that inspired me to get rid of the junk in the trunk...well, sometimes it was actually fun. I don't know if your gym has the kind of ellipticals without the arm mover things, but I found that I liked the ones that just worked your legs better. It felt like less pressure and I was free to move my arms however felt natural for me. Something to think about.

Keep up the awesome work, baby!
June 16, 2008 1:41 AM