Sunday, January 20, 2008

Limbo

So things at my hippy-dippy liberal arts school are not going well. Administrative and financial mismanagement and cronyism, combined with the hiring and firing of several sets of financial aid staff and registrars, have put us into serious trouble with WASC, the regulatory body that can yank our accreditation, as well as the Department of Education, which is indefinitely holding funds to the college. Student loans are going unpaid. Faculty and staff haven't been paid since November. Some of our favorite teachers have resigned 'cause they can't pay their rent. I don't have money to live on til I get my loan disbursement, which was scheduled to come through the first week of January, and now may not get to me til early March, if then. Classes were originally meant to start on January 6, but got pushed back to the 21st and now are on hold til we don't fucking know when.

It's a mite bit stressful, as you can imagine.

Having more time off for winter break than previously planned has been cool (though some spending money would have been nice.) I haven't been able to accomplish all the things I wanted to even with several extra weeks. I've been working on my Year-End Wrap entry, which should be done in the next few days hopefully. That's something, but it's been a slow process. I haven't cleaned my room, my desk piled with tons of paperwork, or the apartment which is a fucking war zone of clutter, dirty dishes, and dust mites. I've gained five or six pounds since the holidays started and can't seem to stop eating everything in sight. I haven't touched my thesis research. I think I've been in a perpetual state of stress and denial about the situation at school, and kind of hoping that I won't be expected to write a thesis if my program ends up getting transferred to another institution willing to take us sorry academic refugees.

Sigh.

Otherwise, life is good, really.

xo
Bree

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aargh. That all sounds very bad. But I shall offer this up side: Don't forget to come over and watch TV with me and the A on Sunday nights. It's free! It's fun! And the L-Word is actually kinda good this season. Of course, now that I've said that, I'm sure it will go straight to the shitter...

Bree said...

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm so behind on the L-Word, though...I never finished last season, and dunno if I can spare more TV time, now that we're almost done w/ Angel...sigh!